Published Date: 24.03.2025 04:37 / Politics

Witkoff Says Hamas Rejected Ceasefire Deal, Sees Putin as Open to Peace

Witkoff Says Hamas Rejected Ceasefire Deal, Sees Putin as Open to Peace

U.S. Special Envoy Steve Witkoff made headlines Sunday with two major international developments during an interview with Fox News. First, he revealed that he had been "duped" by Hamas over a Gaza ceasefire deal. Witkoff believed Hamas was on board with a bridging proposal that could have led to a 40- to 50-day ceasefire and discussions on demilitarization. Instead, Hamas rejected the offer, leading to renewed Israeli strikes on Gaza. "Hamas had every opportunity to demilitarize," Witkoff said. "They elected not to, and this becomes the alternative." He emphasized that while the U.S. remains open to outreach from Hamas, the militant group must be recognized as the aggressor.

In a separate statement, Witkoff turned attention to the Ukraine conflict, expressing optimism about diplomatic efforts between Russia and Ukraine. He said he feels Russian President Vladimir Putin "wants peace" and is hopeful for tangible progress in upcoming talks in Riyadh. According to Witkoff, President Trump had two “very productive” calls—one with Putin and another with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky—focused entirely on achieving lasting peace. "Lots of progress got made last week," Witkoff said, adding that areas like the Black Sea Grain Initiative and maritime shipping could serve as stepping stones to a broader ceasefire agreement.

The envoy’s dual revelations mark a significant moment in U.S. diplomacy, signaling both frustration in the Middle East and cautious optimism in Eastern Europe. While talks in Gaza falter, the upcoming meeting in Riyadh could mark a pivotal point in the Russia-Ukraine conflict.